|Funders of the
Deaf Development Programme
of the Deaf
Go to DDP funders page
The Finnish Association of the Deaf (FAD) is celebrating its 100th anniversary in September, 2005. The FAD has more than 3000 member deaf clubs throughout Finland, and they also have a large international outreach. Currently they are working with 17 deaf groups in poor and developing countries in Africa and Asia.
The Finnish Association of the Deaf first became involved with deaf people in Cambodia when Katja Merentie, a deaf field worker from, was sent to Cambodia to assess the situation of the deaf community here. She began organizing deaf youth in Phnom Penh and taught them sign language, and later the FAD began funding the Deaf Development Program in 1999.
The Finnish Association of the Deaf receives 90% of the funds it gives to international deaf groups from the Finnish Ministry of Foreign Affairs, and then the FAD members raise the other 10%.
FAD first began funding the work of the Deaf Development Program in Cambodia in 1999. Money was provided to teach basic literacy and sign language to deaf people and to research Cambodian Sign Language. The initial three-year funding cycle was extended two more years until December, 2004.